Friday, December 23, 2011

David Gill on Exegeting the Exegesis without God - like listening to punk rock quietly

"And here's where the rubber's gonna meet the road: the Exegesis is hardcore theological speculation, an endeavor that many in our current milieu feel to be pointless, and what's worse, the sign of a degraded mind.

But to take the God out of the PKD, is kinda like listening to punk rock quietly: what's the point? I'm not getting all deist on you. I actually am pretty open minded about the whole thing. Recently, I asked a class of students to raise their hands if they thought Wilbur Mercer, the savior character in Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? was real, and I was amazed when not a single hand went up."
Total Dick-Head: Exegeting the Exegesis

I love the comparison with punk rock. Gill also has a great line about PKD's experimental writing on esoteric philosophy being like jazz improvisation.

No comments:

Post a Comment